Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Denim Sleeping Bag for the Homeless


I have a lot of projects in the works, so I've been trying very hard to finish up some things the past few days.

One of the things that was on the TOP of my list was to put together these denim squares.  Starlight Quilt Guild is doing a charity project for local homeless people.  We're planning on making denim sleeping bags.  At our last meeting, I got a bag of 48 squares.  They're about 9 inches.  From what I understand, they'll sandwich these with some warm fabric and tie them.  They'll also make ties along the sides to cinch it up like a sleeping bag.  I was told to not make this fancy or pretty because that would increase the likelihood of the sleeping bag being stolen.  I have to say that this is one of the most rewarding projects I've ever done.  It gets CRAZY cold here in the winter.  I am delighted to make something that will be such a comfort to someone in the bitter winter.  I hope they are touched by this gift and I hope it is a reminder to them that they are valued and that people truly do care.

No comments: